Welcome to the March 2011 Seniors Digest
ADS Advisory Council Members didn't let the weather put the chill on Senior Lobby Day. (Left to right: Dave Rogers, Diane Snell, ADS Director Pamela Piering, and Don Moreland.)
Our adventurous ADS Advisory Council members made the snowy trek to Olympia last week for the annual Senior Lobby Day. Together they made 22 visits to State legislators and their aides throughout the day to urge preservation of the Senior Citizens Services Act. They also offered education on the Area Agency on Aging's role as a key partner in chronic care management, hospital-home transitions, and the broader model of Aging and Disability Resource Centers. (Scroll down to see more photos of Council members spreading the word about issues that impact our state’s most vulnerable citizens.)
Would you like to share your own input about the future of aging services in our area? Read on to respond to a survey about the Area Plan on Aging for King County, to be updated for 2012 - 2015.
Also in this issue of Seniors Digest:
- Family caregivers, eldercare professionals and others who work with caregivers are invited to the upcoming day-long conference, Challenges in Caregiving: Giving Care, Taking Care.
- Haven't filed your taxes yet? AARP Tax-Aide volunteers can help!
- Learn how to protect yourself, senior family members, and our healthcare system from the growing epidemic of medical identity theft.
- Read about Story Circle, an intergenerational multimedia storytelling project.
- Save the date for upcoming meetings and events.
- Give your brain a workout with the "Healthy Eating for Seniors" puzzle.
For More Information
See "Links You Can Use" for local websites that can direct you to services for seniors. And check out SeniorsDigest.org, our national companion website, which includes the Online Information Center, where you will find resources and information about issues of interest to older adults and their families.
We hope you will refer to our electronic pages often—to obtain advice, to learn of new and exciting services, and to offer us your constructive feedback.
Read Seniors Digest and tell us what you think. We are here to help.
Kaylene Moon, Chair
Seattle-King County Advisory Council
on Aging and Disability Services
More Senior Lobby Day Moments
ADS Members Don Moreland and Dave Rogers said, "Let it snow!"
State Representative Sharon Tomiko Santos met in the Capitol House Gallery with Advisory Council Members; ADS staff members were on hand to provide logistical support. (Left to right: Rep. Santos, Dave Rogers, Doug Ricker, Don Moreland, Diane Snell and Gigi Meinig.)
Advocates Sue Shaw, Diane Snell and Molly Holman