Welcome to the January 2009 Seniors Digest!
Happy New Year! We hope that the beginning of 2009 finds you successfully weathering the recent storms, both literal and economic. These are challenging times for seniors and caregivers across the nation, so it is more important than ever that we work together to meet the needs of our most vulnerable populations. The number one New Year's resolution of the Seattle-King County Advisory Council on Aging & Disability Services is to continue to support this goal.
Advisory Council Chair Michael Miller introduces the incoming Chair, Cathy VonWald. See below to learn more about Cathy's history of service to older adults.*
January also marks the final month that I will be hosting Seniors Digest as the Chair of the Advisory Council. It has been such an honor to work with the energetic and committed people who make up the Council! And it is now my pleasure to introduce the new 2009 Council Chairman, Cathy VonWald. Cathy brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the position, and we are all looking forward to her leadership in our continued advocacy for our seniors and people with disabilities.
In This Issue….
- 10 Healthy Aging Resolutions for 2009. During the last year, research institutions from around the world released new studies on optimum aging. Take advantage of this information as you make your list!
- Eastside Easy Rider Collaborative. This group has found some innovative ways to help seniors and people with disabilities have better "mobility security."
- Charities: Give, But Give Wisely. Before we open our hearts and our wallets, it's important to make sure our donations have the greatest impact on the charitable causes we choose.
- Be Alert for Signs of Hypothermia in Older Loved Ones. Winter isn't over yet! Seniors and caregivers should be aware of the sometimes subtle symptoms of this dangerous condition.
- Save the Date for These Upcoming Events. Read about the Village Concept, Senior Lobby Day and more.
- "Healthy Aging Resolutions for 2009" Wordfind. Give your brain a workout with this month's puzzle
For More Information
See "Links You Can Use" for local websites that can direct you to services for seniors. And check out SeniorsDigest.org, our national companion website, which includes the new, improved Online Information Center, where you will find resources and information about issues of interest to older adults and their families.
We hope you will refer to our electronic pages often—to obtain advice, to learn of new and exciting services, and to offer us your constructive feedback.
Read Seniors Digest and tell us what you think. We are here to help.
Michael Miller, Outgoing Chair
Seattle-King County Advisory Council
on Aging and Disability Services
* More About Cathy VonWald
Cathy studied at Washington State University in Pullman, receiving a BA in Recreation and Parks Administration. She has served the Bellevue Community as the Community Services Supervisor since 1982, working directly with older adults for the last eight years. She has provided recreation programs for older adults and information and referral and other human services. She serves on the Overlake Hospital Connections Senior Advisory Board and is President of the Northwest Region of the U.S. Life Saving Association. Cathy was a member of the Woodinville City Council from 2000-2007, serving as Mayor in 2006-2007.