Seniors Digest
KIPDA Area Agency on Aging and
Independent Living
  July 1, 2008 

Helping Seniors and People with Disabilities File for the Economic Stimulus Payment

In March, more than 130 million American households received IRS letters giving them general information about the economic stimulus payments. The letters also advised Americans that to receive a 2008 stimulus payment, they had to file a 2007 tax return. Taxpayers who already filed using a 1040 Form to Tax timecomply with the April 15 filing deadline do not need to do anything extra to receive their one-time economic stimulus payment.

A separate IRS mailing was sent in late March to people who no longer file tax returns—certain recipients of Social Security and veterans disability benefits—explaining what they will need to do to receive their one-time economic stimulus payment and providing the necessary guidance and forms.

You have until October 15, 2008 to apply for an economic stimulus payment.

People who do not need to file a tax return, but received at least $3,000 from Social Security benefits, veteran’s benefits, certain railroad retirement benefits and/or earned income in 2007, must submit a simplified version of a 1040A tax form to the IRS in order to receive a stimulus payment. The minimum payment for this group will be $300 for an individual and $600 for a couple filing jointly. You can also file for the stimulus payment by visiting AARP or Benefits Checkup and using the simple tool provided. You will need to provide a valid Social Security Number.

The IRS mailed two informational notices to taxpayers in March advising of the payments.  All additional communications will come from the IRS in writing. Avoid providing information to organizations or people who communicate in other ways. The IRS will never call or e-mail asking for your Social Security number or bank account information.  The IRS will never send a letter or e-mail asking for a response by phone or e-mail. IRS agents will not ask to come to a person's home for the purpose of an economic stimulus payment.  Never pay anyone or go through a third-party intermediary to apply for or speed up the payment process.

You can contact the IRS Dedicated Economic Stimulus Payment Phone toll free, 866-234-2942, or go to

<<Previous ArticleNext Article>>
Bookmark and Share

Print-Friendly Version
Send to a Friend
Subscribe Today
 This Issue
KIPDA Grandparent Raising Grandchildren 2008 Conference Overview
More About the KIPDA Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program
KIPDA Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program Eligibility
Two Grandmothers Share Their Experiences
Child Safety Checklist for Grandparents
Helping Seniors and People with Disabilities File for the Economic Stimulus Payment
Are You Ready For February 17, 2009?
"Summer Safety" Wordfind
Calendar of Events
Subscribe to "Seniors Digest"

2013 (hide list)